“I am looking for someone to share in an adventure that I am arranging, and it’s very difficult to find anyone.”

Wednesday 16 December 2015

2015

Hello darlings


As you may have noticed, I haven't been posting much on this blog - most of my blog posts from this year have languished, unfinished in the drafts folder! Or, worse, remained simply voice memos on my phone! Sorry about that. I'll have to try harder in the future ;)
I thought I'd do a retrospective for this year, just a quick lil list of some things that defined the year for me... the nice, fun easy ones. These won't be things that are necessarily from this year, but things that I experienced this year; sorry if that's confusing!

Starting with stuff you can already see on my blog if you scroll down a little ways:

This year I watched a lot of cartoons



Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Nickelodeon 2012 version)
Over the Garden Wall

Avatar: The Last Airbender

Legend of Korra


Gravity Falls

Mostly children's cartoons about groups of young people dealing with the fantastical, with lots of humour and soul-shattering drama thrown in.

Best books I read (for the first time - not rereads) this year: (I don't think any of these will be books from 2015, sorry!)

Housekeeping by Marilynne Robinson (a beautifully crafted, heartbreaking thing)

East of Eden by John Steinbeck (the first time I've read Steinbeck and I almost feel like I don't need to read his other books now - this was good!)

The Little White Horse by Elizabeth Goudge (every childhood delight rolled up in one)

Unspoken Sermons by George Macdonald (challenged me and filled me with joy)

After Dark and Wild Sheep Chase by Haruki Murakami (As with all Murakami's books, I'm not sure how to communicate how I liked these.)

The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt (HEARTBREAKING but in the best way)


2015 was a great year for television
... because we finally got Netflix in Australia!

Personal highlights include

Daredevil


Jane the Virgin

Merlin


Arrested Development


and Ouran High School Host Club


... which lead to me reading the manga... which I have probably reread eight times by now.



My year in music:

Taylor Swift's Wildest Dreams really belongs with her Style video, lbr, not the #problematic as heck video it actually got.

This, of course, too.

V. much recommend you download The Oh Hellos new music while it's still on Noisetrade (Also, all of their music is great too - this is an excellent time to soak yourself in their soul-stirring versions of Christmas classics!)

One of the reasons this list will be short is because I spent a huge portion of the year just listening to Marina and the Diamonds' new album:







Another favourite release from this year: Carrie and Lowell by Sufjan Stevens:




Fourth of July broke my heart and changed my life

As did:

 


TWENTY ONE PILOTS!!!!









If we leave it there I've had a pretty angsty year in music, but if we keep going...

You guys, I got into Kpop.




I know. I KNOW.




Turns out that my lifelong disinterest in boybands melts away when the boys can DANCE, haha. Y'all know I can't resist good dancing. I kind of prefer the dance practice videos, mostly, because the music videos are so... full on, it's like sensory overload within the first twenty seconds, plus I'm honestly confused by the fashion choices a lot of the time. (NB: neither applies to the Just Right video!)





I've only just got into Kpop, so I'm still very, very new to the whole thing, but so far my favourite group has been GOT7. Because they're fricking adorable.


I'm going to stop now before I fangirl my way out of your respect.

And so, dear readers, this has been my year... pop-culturally speaking.

No comments:

Post a Comment

read the printed word!

Labels

A. A. Milne abortion About A Boy action movies ads Agatha Christie Alice In Wonderland Andrew Garfield Anglophilia angst Aqualung Atonement audible goodness Audrey Hepburn Babies baby Basil The Great Mouse Detective BBC Bear Grylls Beatrix Potter Beauty and the Beast Bedtime stories Benedict Cumberbatch Bible verses of awesome Billabong Billy Joel Black Books Blackstump books books you are unlikely to have read boys Britan Britishness Brooke Fraser Butlers and Valets - I want one C. S. Lewis Cabin Pressure Cat Cellos Chameleon Circuit chick flicks childhood children's books children's television shows Chocolat Chocolate Christmas clothes coffee Coldplay culture cute asian couples David Tennant Dev Patel Dick Van Dyke Disney films Doctor Horrible Doctor Who dreams Easter Easter Show Emma Enid Blyton Excerpts excitement family fanvids Fear Feminism film firefighters Firefly food Freckles freedom friends fun links G. K. Chesterton Gerald Durrell Gilbert and Sullivan God good things Gregory Peck hair Headache History home Homeschool hopes hot chocolate Howl's Moving Castle Hugarian Rhapsody hugs humiliation I love you impudence information Jane Austen Jane Austen mini-series Japanese stuff Jeeves and Wooster Josh Groban Karen and the Babes kiddiwinks Knitting L. M. Montgomery Lady Gaga Landon Pigg - what a funny name language Laughter laziness Legolas Les Miserable life lists literature Lord Of The Rings love loveliness lovely music Lovely Voices Manliness Martin Freeman Mary Poppins Matt Smith me Meet the Robinsons Michael Bublé Michael Crawford Miranda misogyny movies Mumford and Sons Music musicals Nanowrimo Narnia nasty awful films nostalgia Old fashioned old movies opinions Orthodoxy Oscar Wilde pain penguins Phantom of the Opera pictures Poetry Pride and Prejudice actors who are awesome princesses procrastination productivity QI Queen Victoria quotes rain rants Regina Spektor reviews Rhett and Link Roman Holiday romance Romola Garai Rowan Atkinson S screen caps Secondhand Lions Sesame Street Sherlock Sherlock Holmes silliness Simon and Garfunkel soundtracks Stephen Fry Stephen Moffat... stuff I like stupidity suits tea television - that dreaded monster Ten Tenors Terry Pratchett the 90s The Help The Hobbit The Princess Bride The Whitlams the zoo theatre things that make me sad things to blog about later thoughtlessness three fingers tiredness treating fictional characters like real people U2 uni Vampires videos weddings Why does this post have so many views? Wind in the Willows Winnie the Pooh Wodehouse words writers writing you and your sneaky literary references... YouTube