“I am looking for someone to share in an adventure that I am arranging, and it’s very difficult to find anyone.”

Monday 16 March 2015

Hi guys,

So, apparently this is now a 'talking about Nickelodeon cartoons' blog. Sorry, not sorry!

Over the last couple of months I've really gotten into the two Avatar television series, and I want to talk a little bit about them today. I've seen all of The Last Airbender and I'm about halfway through Book 2 of Legend of Korra, so my observations have probably been better articulated and analysed by people who have actually seen the whole show. An unfortunate side-effect of first-time watching a show that has already been out there in the world for a while... and I can't look and find out, either, without subjecting myself to spoilers! So, here goes nothing.

The Last Airbender (ATLA) and Legend of Korra (LOK) are two very different, very wonderful shows, with different strengths and different weaknesses; however, I have noticed a few things in common - particularly a few weaknesses in common. (NB, I really do love these shows, ATLA changed my life a wee bit and I'm loving LOK so far, but I also love to analyse stuff a little too much...)

Starting at the very beginning (apparently a very good place to start), both shows take a while to find their feet. After watching two or three episodes of ATLA together my brother turned to me with shining eyes and said, "Isn't this the best show you've ever watched?"

I was forced to say no. It wasn't the best show I had ever watched. It was cute, I liked the premise, I liked the world, but the characters didn't grab me straight away. I found Aang's hyperactive childishness and Sokka's awkward wisecracking a bit annoying, and the earliest stories weren't especially interesting to me. Of course, after watching all three books of ATLA, I now have to declare it one of my favourite television shows ever, if not my most favourite, and the characters hold distinguished places in my pantheon of fictional darlings.

In comparison, I can't help but feel that LOK, as of Book 2, still hasn't really found its feet. The plot arcs, though interesting and well-conceived, aren't always paced very well - one less interesting plot point will be given far too much time and several very interesting plot points will be hastily jammed into a single episode! As for character arcs? I don't think they really exist in LOK at all in a real sense. Korra seems to pretty much learn the same thing in most episodes, since the plot of most episodes goes a bit like this tumblr meme:

Everyone: "Korra, don't do the thing!"

Korra: "I'm gonna do the thing!"

Korra: *Regrets doing the thing*

If you have the same lesson taught over and over again in different episodes, it sort of ruins the whole 'character growth arc' thing that is so terribly important to a good show.

And the other characters??? Um. Well.

Why did the Fire Ferrets disband? Really, why? I rely too heavily on the bro-y bros broing it up dynamic; separating Korra and Mako and Bolin for a good portion of season two just made me sorta dislike Mako and even Bolin a little. In stark contrast to ATLA, LOK doesn't give us much of the inner lives of the characters, except maybe for Korra and Tenzin (a bit). I appreciate what we do get - but just remembering Zuko's agonising journey of personal development - and Aang's - and Katara's (and Sokka's and Toph's, to a lesser extent)... why? Why don't we get to see much of the motivations and struggles and epiphanies of the characters of LOK?

(EDIT: the above was written when I was up to Chapter 8 of LOK. I greatly appreciated Bolin's acknowledgement of the breakdown of the brotherly relationship in a subsequent ep. Bolin had some nice moments over the last episodes of Book 2)

THAT SAID, LOK seems to have a way of making up for some less interesting/plain awful subplots *COUGH* LOVE TRIANGLE *COUGH* with really full on, no punches pulled, go big or go home finales. You should see me failing to stifle my cries of shock, fear and disbelief when watching the season finales. I'm super annoying.

I'll write more another time!

No comments:

Post a Comment

read the printed word!

Labels

A. A. Milne abortion About A Boy action movies ads Agatha Christie Alice In Wonderland Andrew Garfield Anglophilia angst Aqualung Atonement audible goodness Audrey Hepburn Babies baby Basil The Great Mouse Detective BBC Bear Grylls Beatrix Potter Beauty and the Beast Bedtime stories Benedict Cumberbatch Bible verses of awesome Billabong Billy Joel Black Books Blackstump books books you are unlikely to have read boys Britan Britishness Brooke Fraser Butlers and Valets - I want one C. S. Lewis Cabin Pressure Cat Cellos Chameleon Circuit chick flicks childhood children's books children's television shows Chocolat Chocolate Christmas clothes coffee Coldplay culture cute asian couples David Tennant Dev Patel Dick Van Dyke Disney films Doctor Horrible Doctor Who dreams Easter Easter Show Emma Enid Blyton Excerpts excitement family fanvids Fear Feminism film firefighters Firefly food Freckles freedom friends fun links G. K. Chesterton Gerald Durrell Gilbert and Sullivan God good things Gregory Peck hair Headache History home Homeschool hopes hot chocolate Howl's Moving Castle Hugarian Rhapsody hugs humiliation I love you impudence information Jane Austen Jane Austen mini-series Japanese stuff Jeeves and Wooster Josh Groban Karen and the Babes kiddiwinks Knitting L. M. Montgomery Lady Gaga Landon Pigg - what a funny name language Laughter laziness Legolas Les Miserable life lists literature Lord Of The Rings love loveliness lovely music Lovely Voices Manliness Martin Freeman Mary Poppins Matt Smith me Meet the Robinsons Michael Bublé Michael Crawford Miranda misogyny movies Mumford and Sons Music musicals Nanowrimo Narnia nasty awful films nostalgia Old fashioned old movies opinions Orthodoxy Oscar Wilde pain penguins Phantom of the Opera pictures Poetry Pride and Prejudice actors who are awesome princesses procrastination productivity QI Queen Victoria quotes rain rants Regina Spektor reviews Rhett and Link Roman Holiday romance Romola Garai Rowan Atkinson S screen caps Secondhand Lions Sesame Street Sherlock Sherlock Holmes silliness Simon and Garfunkel soundtracks Stephen Fry Stephen Moffat... stuff I like stupidity suits tea television - that dreaded monster Ten Tenors Terry Pratchett the 90s The Help The Hobbit The Princess Bride The Whitlams the zoo theatre things that make me sad things to blog about later thoughtlessness three fingers tiredness treating fictional characters like real people U2 uni Vampires videos weddings Why does this post have so many views? Wind in the Willows Winnie the Pooh Wodehouse words writers writing you and your sneaky literary references... YouTube