“I am looking for someone to share in an adventure that I am arranging, and it’s very difficult to find anyone.”

Monday 21 April 2014

Let's Talk about Movies

I'm trying to figure out what I like in movies. Of course, most of my friends are convinced I have no taste - I get far too much enjoyment out of seriously awful romcoms and I don't watch serious films (if I can avoid them) or scary films (ever). But here, I'll write a list of my favourite films (excluding BBC period dramas, old Hollywood musicals and kids' movies, because they make up about 80% of my DVD collection and I can't help feeling that most people would just regard these as niche interests anyway) and we'll see what they have in common.

Today's post we'll focus on the fantasy(ish) films. By which I mean to say, stories within stories.

The Princess Bride
From http://sarahmensinga.blogspot.com.au/
is a given. I'm a Christian homeschooler, naturally I adore it to pieces, just like the rest of my kind. But why do we love it? The Princess Bride has it all, 'nuff said. Comedy, romance, action, (fencing, fighting, escapes, torture, revenge, true love, miracles) - it's funny and adorable and quotable. There aren't sex scenes to make you squirm and cover the kids' eyes - the action is exciting but unlikely to cause scream-yourself-awake nightmares. The writing is cleverly self-aware and witty without being annoying, the cast is stellar and the overall experience a delight. Why isn't every movie just a ripoff of The Princess Bride?
(So, to summarise, Princess Bride is on my list because it's romantic, funny, self-aware, pretty and exciting. Doesn't really narrow it down.)

Secondhand Lions




I like this movie a lot, but nowhere near as much as I like the other two films I'm talking about today. I like Michael Caine and I like the flashbacks/story time and I like the character dynamics. All in all, though, I guess it has this magical element of sincerity plus wonderment, which is why it makes this list.

The Fall
From http://bllbo.tumblr.com/
is one of two titles in my DVD collection that have a higher rating than M (recommended for Mature Audiences, 15+). My collection goes to MA (+15 only), no higher, so don't get excited! I thought of The Fall after The Princess Bride and Secondhand Lions because, like those two films, it's sort of a story with a framing device. And it's funny that these three films should have have that in common - I don't really like a framing device (particularly the ghastly one in Secondhand Lions, ugh.). But this framing device isn't really a framing device. The story Roy tells isn't the movie's focus or point - it simply reflects and enhances the emotional journey of the film, whilst weaving in and out of what's really happening. The story serves a purpose in the plot that is heartbreaking and disturbing. I can't really tell more without giving away ALL the spoilers, so I won't. Why do I like this movie? It's visually ASTOUNDINGLY beautiful. Lee Pace's broken, depressed stuntman is simultaneously relatable whilst being at the same time eyebrow-raisingly unhinged. Apparently Lee Pace and Catinca Untaru's scenes were filmed in order, so that the relationship between them could grow naturally as the relationship between the characters grows. And you can tell, watching it, too. (So it's on the list because it's, well, a good movie? No, we have to be more specific than that... It's beautiful and tragic and ultimately hopeful and did I mention beautiful? Like, filmed in 23 different countries beautiful? AND I AM ASHAMED OF MYSELF FOR MENTIONING IT BUT I MUST: Lee Pace looks damn fine in that bandit outfit. HIS ARMS.)

1 comment:

  1. Hi lovely! I nominated you for the One Lovely Blog Award on my blog :) Congratulations! Here are the details: http://whatjessieread.wordpress.com/2014/07/17/someone-thinks-my-blog-is-lovely/

    ReplyDelete

read the printed word!

Labels

A. A. Milne abortion About A Boy action movies ads Agatha Christie Alice In Wonderland Andrew Garfield Anglophilia angst Aqualung Atonement audible goodness Audrey Hepburn Babies baby Basil The Great Mouse Detective BBC Bear Grylls Beatrix Potter Beauty and the Beast Bedtime stories Benedict Cumberbatch Bible verses of awesome Billabong Billy Joel Black Books Blackstump books books you are unlikely to have read boys Britan Britishness Brooke Fraser Butlers and Valets - I want one C. S. Lewis Cabin Pressure Cat Cellos Chameleon Circuit chick flicks childhood children's books children's television shows Chocolat Chocolate Christmas clothes coffee Coldplay culture cute asian couples David Tennant Dev Patel Dick Van Dyke Disney films Doctor Horrible Doctor Who dreams Easter Easter Show Emma Enid Blyton Excerpts excitement family fanvids Fear Feminism film firefighters Firefly food Freckles freedom friends fun links G. K. Chesterton Gerald Durrell Gilbert and Sullivan God good things Gregory Peck hair Headache History home Homeschool hopes hot chocolate Howl's Moving Castle Hugarian Rhapsody hugs humiliation I love you impudence information Jane Austen Jane Austen mini-series Japanese stuff Jeeves and Wooster Josh Groban Karen and the Babes kiddiwinks Knitting L. M. Montgomery Lady Gaga Landon Pigg - what a funny name language Laughter laziness Legolas Les Miserable life lists literature Lord Of The Rings love loveliness lovely music Lovely Voices Manliness Martin Freeman Mary Poppins Matt Smith me Meet the Robinsons Michael Bublé Michael Crawford Miranda misogyny movies Mumford and Sons Music musicals Nanowrimo Narnia nasty awful films nostalgia Old fashioned old movies opinions Orthodoxy Oscar Wilde pain penguins Phantom of the Opera pictures Poetry Pride and Prejudice actors who are awesome princesses procrastination productivity QI Queen Victoria quotes rain rants Regina Spektor reviews Rhett and Link Roman Holiday romance Romola Garai Rowan Atkinson S screen caps Secondhand Lions Sesame Street Sherlock Sherlock Holmes silliness Simon and Garfunkel soundtracks Stephen Fry Stephen Moffat... stuff I like stupidity suits tea television - that dreaded monster Ten Tenors Terry Pratchett the 90s The Help The Hobbit The Princess Bride The Whitlams the zoo theatre things that make me sad things to blog about later thoughtlessness three fingers tiredness treating fictional characters like real people U2 uni Vampires videos weddings Why does this post have so many views? Wind in the Willows Winnie the Pooh Wodehouse words writers writing you and your sneaky literary references... YouTube