“I am looking for someone to share in an adventure that I am arranging, and it’s very difficult to find anyone.”

Sunday 5 August 2012

Three movies

Just a few words on my recent film consumption:

My Week with Marilyn


 

It may sound silly to fault the star of a Marilyn Monroe biopic for not being Marilyn Monroe, but I feel like my biggest criticism of this film would have to be Michelle Williams' portrayal of Marilyn Monroe . My criticism is rendered even more ridiculous-sounding because I cannot fault Williams on any particular acting decision unless I fault her on all of them at once - and my criticism is this: Michelle Williams absolutely does not have the charm/charisma/fascination that was Marilyn's defining attribute. And this obviously isn't her fault; I can't name a living actress who possesses the luminous allure that made Marilyn famous. But the film as a whole suffers fatally from this lack: the other actors do their jobs and do them well, but everything rests upon the portrayal of Marilyn. When Michelle Williams does her sexy dance and the kittenish Marilyn stage personality it seems tawdry and vulgar rather than enchanting and attractive, and when she portrays Marilyn's manic, insecure, manipulative offscreen character it just seems odd that anyone would ever feel drawn towards her vulnerability as the protagonist of the film supposedly is, simply because the charm and warmth, and, dare I say it, humanity of the woman, is missing. I suppose my conclusion must be that, until we find an actress who has that peculiar spark, we should not try our hand at Marilyn Monroe biopics.
(Also, every other actor seemed perfectly cast and they all gave delightful performances. Except Emma Watson's somewhat lacklustre portrayal of the 'nice normal girl', which felt inexpert and lacked authenticity.)

 

Drive

 
This movie was... well... I don't watch this sort of thing often, so I don't have much of a reference point. There were many moments of stillness - but never a moment in which one kind of tension or another did not manifest - the tension of suspense, of attraction between characters, of violence, of promised violence... lots of tension and lots of violence. I can't comment too much on said violence because I happen to be cursed with a very lurid and cruel imagination that prevents me from sleeping at night if I expose myself to graphic imagery... so I spent some time during this film eyes very much averted. But I did appreciate the taunt, subtle acting of Ryan Gosling, who is never boring to watch, even when he's doing absolutely nothing.
The script is rather minimalistic, at times feeling natural in a very unexpected way and at other times feeling very stylised. The soundtrack is also very stylised and integral to the film's broody, simmering mood - lots of deep retro bass: I'm not good with dating music to the decade, but it felt very 80s, I think. The theme of 'doing horrible things to protect the innocent' is handled in an interesting (disgustingly graphic, but interesting) manner and all in all, if you can handle the violence or just try and avoid watching said violence altogether, give Drive a try.
(This ad pretty much gives away the plot - but the plot isn't really the point of the film anyway.)






The Fall


Two MA rated movies in one day! This is very much not the norm for me :-)
There isn't much I can say about The Fall,  I think... Lots of people are probably able to analyse a film like this and pick out the symbols and themes and meaning; for me is was just a deeply affecting, beautiful sequence of gorgeous imagery, with an underlying story of heartbreak. The chemistry between Lee Pace and Catinca Untaru is perfect, the scenery and overall artistic direction is stunning and the upsetting parts are really disturbing inasmuch as they are described with delicate artistry. If Drive is a gunshot in the gut, The Fall is a skewer in the heart. Definitely recommend.


No comments:

Post a Comment

read the printed word!

Labels

A. A. Milne abortion About A Boy action movies ads Agatha Christie Alice In Wonderland Andrew Garfield Anglophilia angst Aqualung Atonement audible goodness Audrey Hepburn Babies baby Basil The Great Mouse Detective BBC Bear Grylls Beatrix Potter Beauty and the Beast Bedtime stories Benedict Cumberbatch Bible verses of awesome Billabong Billy Joel Black Books Blackstump books books you are unlikely to have read boys Britan Britishness Brooke Fraser Butlers and Valets - I want one C. S. Lewis Cabin Pressure Cat Cellos Chameleon Circuit chick flicks childhood children's books children's television shows Chocolat Chocolate Christmas clothes coffee Coldplay culture cute asian couples David Tennant Dev Patel Dick Van Dyke Disney films Doctor Horrible Doctor Who dreams Easter Easter Show Emma Enid Blyton Excerpts excitement family fanvids Fear Feminism film firefighters Firefly food Freckles freedom friends fun links G. K. Chesterton Gerald Durrell Gilbert and Sullivan God good things Gregory Peck hair Headache History home Homeschool hopes hot chocolate Howl's Moving Castle Hugarian Rhapsody hugs humiliation I love you impudence information Jane Austen Jane Austen mini-series Japanese stuff Jeeves and Wooster Josh Groban Karen and the Babes kiddiwinks Knitting L. M. Montgomery Lady Gaga Landon Pigg - what a funny name language Laughter laziness Legolas Les Miserable life lists literature Lord Of The Rings love loveliness lovely music Lovely Voices Manliness Martin Freeman Mary Poppins Matt Smith me Meet the Robinsons Michael Bublé Michael Crawford Miranda misogyny movies Mumford and Sons Music musicals Nanowrimo Narnia nasty awful films nostalgia Old fashioned old movies opinions Orthodoxy Oscar Wilde pain penguins Phantom of the Opera pictures Poetry Pride and Prejudice actors who are awesome princesses procrastination productivity QI Queen Victoria quotes rain rants Regina Spektor reviews Rhett and Link Roman Holiday romance Romola Garai Rowan Atkinson S screen caps Secondhand Lions Sesame Street Sherlock Sherlock Holmes silliness Simon and Garfunkel soundtracks Stephen Fry Stephen Moffat... stuff I like stupidity suits tea television - that dreaded monster Ten Tenors Terry Pratchett the 90s The Help The Hobbit The Princess Bride The Whitlams the zoo theatre things that make me sad things to blog about later thoughtlessness three fingers tiredness treating fictional characters like real people U2 uni Vampires videos weddings Why does this post have so many views? Wind in the Willows Winnie the Pooh Wodehouse words writers writing you and your sneaky literary references... YouTube